As a backup service, Polarbackup supports the following features:
- Incremental backup with versioning: With Polarbackup, whenever one of the original files gets updated/modified locally, Polarbackup desktop software will automatically upload it again to the Cloud, adding one new version of this file. So, for files that get modified frequently, you’ll find multiple versions of them in the Cloud. This way, you can select to restore an older version when needed. (Learn more)
- The deleted files are kept on the Cloud: Polarbackup does not delete files from the Cloud, even if they have been deleted locally from the machine. In case you have deleted file(s) from the machine, you will find the file(s) still available under your Polarbackup account. This will make a difference in the size between the original data and the backup of it. (Learn more)
With those features, it is expected for the backup size on the Cloud to grow bigger with time.
The Retention option aims to help the Polarbackup users purge the unwanted versions and deleted files in order to reduce the backup size on the Cloud.
Retention for Business Accounts
Any Business Polarbackup subscriber can enable the Retention option as follows:
- Sign in to your Polarbackup online account.
- Refer to the Settings tab.
- From under the Retention section, set the desired settings.
- Click the Save button.
Retention for Home Accounts
Polarbackup Home subscribers cannot control how many old versions they want to keep in their Cloud backup. Polarbackup will keep the latest ten (10) versions of each file. Older versions will be automatically purged.
Also, the deleted files will be saved forever, unless they get manually deleted from the Cloud.