Polarbackup performs incremental backups. This means that whenever one of your selected files get modified locally on your drive(s), Polarbackup desktop software will back it up again for you, adding a new version of this file to your backup in the Cloud so you can restore any old version when needed.
By default, when you restore from your backup, you will get the latest version of your files. If you want older versions, you need to restore them separately. Here we describes the two methods you can follow to restore an old version from your backup.
Method 1: Using Polarbackup Desktop Software
- Open the Polarbackup desktop software and click on the Restore option.
- Using the Computer Name drop-down menu, select the name of the computer that you want to restore from its backup.
- Browse your files there, select the file that you want to restore an older version of it, and click on the Show Versions option next to it.
- From the versions window, click on the version that you need to restore, then click the Save button at the lower-right corner.
- Select the restore location then click on the Next button.
Polarbackup will start preparing the data that will be restored, and you will notice that a red cloud icon appears in the system tray.
If the version you are trying to restore is saved to Cold Storage, it normally takes 3-12 hours for the download to start. Keep your machine running. Make sure not to log out of your user account, and not to put the machine into sleep. Polarbackup will restore your files when they are ready and available. You can also minimize the window as this will not affect the restore process.
Method 2: From Polarbackup Website
- Sign in to your Polarbackup online account.
- Refer to the My Computers tab.
- From the list of your Computers on the left side of the page, select the name of the computer that you want to restore from its backup.
- Browse your files there, and select the file which you need to restore an old version of it. If you proceed and click the Download icon, you will download the latest version of the file, but if you want to restore an old version, then right-click on the file and select the option to Show versions.
- Now, from the window that will appear, select to download the wanted old version.